Sunday 9 September 2012

Research into Genre

I think from looking at existing regional magazines it is quite obvious that they display themselves as more of listings magazines rather than properly giving me the information of what is good in their local area. I find that the youth in Cornwall seem to think there is nothing to do with no real opputinities, through this magazine I want to prove them wrong as I feel that Cornwall has so much to offer. One of the things that people don't realise Cornwall has is a thriving fashion scene which is why I want my magazine to have a big element on this. Assisting this will be the content on music shows and other forms of the arts as all of these have their own particular style that exists right here in Cornwall.

For my research into my genre the first place I needed to go was Vogue as this is the fashion magazine that everyone knows the name of and is still the most successful today. I wanted to look at the different parts of this magazine to see the type of content, colour schemes and structures they produce to see the kind of thing that I should incorporate into my own.


It is clear from just looking at this Vogue covers that they are striking. They instantly capture the audience's attention through the colours, tones and garments used through this you can tell that each cover is perfectly put together with deep thought into what and who to include. The interesting thing also is that even if a photo is against a studio background it isn't left plain there are colour filters, textures or even props which shows that for this genre you need the main cover to have lots going on to get it to capture attention. As well as this you can see that in each photo the emphasis is on the clothes and model showing that these need to be the focus but not in a way that has the audience member looking in different directions. In these photos the model is perfectly matched with the garments that they become one this is something highly important in the fashion genre. The text on the cover isn't important as on a lot of the covers there is only slight bits as it's about the photo and nothing else. 



Another magazine that it was key for my to look at was Dazed and Confused as this magazine covers both music and fashion in one. It gives people the latest music but it features them in the latest fashion's too. This links in well with the kind of style I want my magazine to have. What I have found with this magazine is that the style is very unique with the main photo having an unusual aspect or theme creating an attraction. I can also see on this magazine that again there is a lack of writing because the focus is on this main image. This shows that in the fashion genre the lack of text is a recurring theme and that the focus really should be on the photograph. I found that the colour schemes on these front covers were very much to fit in with the photo so that they didn't take away from it such as the cover to the right the writing is in colour because the photo is black and white as strangely this makes the photo more the focus. 

No comments:

Post a Comment