Monday 9 April 2012

Photoshoot Plan

For my front cover I need to do a photoshoot to be able to come up with the final image that I want to use.  To get the images looking how I would like them to I need to ensure I have everything I need and that I have planned everything out.

Equipment needed:


  • Suitable Model 
  • Outfit's fitting with the Indie style
  • Studio Lighting
  • White Backdrop 
  • Camera
  • Make-Up 
  • Hair Accessories 
  • Acoustic Guitar 
The above equipment links to the type of photos I would like to produce. The suitable model refers to the fact that I need my model to reflect the kind of indie music icon that would be represented on a magazine cover. While the outfit the model is wearing must be an individual choice that makes her also represent a style icon as well as a music icon. The studio lighting and white backdrop will help me to produce a photo that looks professional enough to be my magazine's front cover image. The camera is an obvious piece of equipment needed as I wouldn't be able to get the photos without this. The make-up and hair accessories are needed to ensure the model looks how I would like them to. While the acoustic guitar is a prop I would like to use as it links to the style of music my artist would play so for them to have this in the photos seems suitable.


Model choices

I chose my model because I feel that she fits the Indie image well through generally the way that she looks. As well as this she is pretty so therefore this fits well for the front cover as model’s on the front cover are usually very attractive. I also thought that because of her hair style she can represent the target audience well as this curly hair style is part of the genre. Also her hair colour is slightly different as the two different colours make it more vibrant which adds to the individual style of the Indie genre. Also the model I have chosen is of a young age so therefore this represents the target audience as they are of the age range 17-24. This also links in with Stanley Halls theory that “youth must seek excitement and if this is not in the form of intellectual furthering’s then it will be found in sex or drink.”  Therefore the fact that my model is young, pretty and is representing their style means it’s something that will excite them rather than drink or sex. As well as this the fact that I chose a female model links in with Mulvey’s theory of the male gaze that a women is only put in the media for two reasons, the first being for other males in the image for an object of desire and the same for the spectators. This means that my model being female will present her as an object of desire for the spectator making more of a male audience interested. Although this wasn’t the reason I went for a female model as my target audience is primarily female. So therefore the cover model being female is more so they can relate to her which makes it more personal.

Locations list

I decided to do my main front cover image and the images on my feature article as studio shoots as this is a convention in magazines that are already out there. As these images needed to show my model of clearly I wanted them to be studio shots as this ensures that the lighting is correct on her face and that her outfit can be seen clearly. These especially need to be done for my front cover image as it needs to be an eye-capturing image so that it makes my target audience interested in the magazine.

For my contents page I wanted to do an outside shoot for a different kind of location to the studio shoots that I had already decided to do. For this I got a male model so that it was different to the female model on my front cover to add a bit of variety. I want these photos to have the imagery of trees so I will go to a wooded area to take the photos. For this shoot I think I will take a prop such as an acoustic guitar to add something else to the image as well so that it is clear it’s a musician.

Another type of location I wanted for my contents page and feature article was live photos as this gives the reader something to be interested in because they want to imagine they were there. For this I needed to go to some gigs because the location is wherever a gig is I couldn’t really set anything up myself I just had to ensure that I had the settings correct on my camera to be able to get good lighting. As I needed more diversity than just one live show I also had to use live photos that I have taken before but I put them in Photoshop to ensure they are at a good standard.

Mise-en-scene

For my main studio shoot the mise-en-scene that I used was important to represent my target audience. This was done through the make-up and hair especially by making my model look the way that my target audience do. I did this by ensuring her hair was curly but slightly messy as this is part of the Indie style. Although because of my model’s hair being slightly vibrant with the fact that it’s dip-dyed style with one half being blonde and the other brown. This adds a slight bit of boldness and originality which represents my target audience even more as this is how they all want to be seen. The make-up links in with my target audience by only being slightly bold with the focus mainly on her eyes by making these have black outlining so that they stand out. As well as this in this shoot I used props such as an acoustic guitar to represent the music behind the Indie genre as this will appeal to people of the Indie style. I think by incorparting these all together it shows the kind of style that my target audience would wear and how they would look. This makes my imagery appealing to my target audience and therefore making them interested in my magazine. 

Costume Designs



These are some sketches of the style of clothing that I would like my model to wear in my shoot. I wanted them to be slightly bold and different. 

1 comment: